Op-eds and other public writing
- “There’s Something Fishy about U.S.-Canada Trade Wars,” The Atlantic online, 14 June 2018
- “The Shady History of Big Sugar,” op-ed in The New York Times, 17 September 2016
Pieces for Bunk
- “Zones of Doubt,” 2 October 2018.
- “The Sugar Tramp,” 10 January 2018.
- “The Other End of the Telescope,” 24 November 2017.
- “When Science Was Big,” 19 October 2017.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- “The Reproducibility Crisis in the Age of Digital Medicine,” npj Digital Medicine, 29 January 2019, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-019-0079-z
- “Sugar Machines and the Fragile Infrastructure of Commodities in the Nineteenth Century,” Osiris 33 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1086/699234 or click here to download
- “The Limits of Chemical Control in the Caribbean Sugar Factory,” Radical History Review 127 (January 2017), http://dx.doi.org/10.1215/01636545-3690858 or click here to download
- “Science, Commodities, and Corruption in the Gilded Age”, Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era (July 2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1537781416000128 or click here to download
- “Keynesian Eugenics and the Goodness of the World”, Journal of British Studies (July 2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jbr.2016.56 or click here to download
Other journal articles
- “Inventing Purity in the Atlantic Sugar World, 1860-1930”, Enterprise and Society (December 2015), http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/eso.2015.74 or click here to download
- “‘A Doubt is At Best an Unsafe Standard’: Measuring Sugar in the Early Bureau of Standards,” NIST Journal of Research 112, no. 1 (January 2007), http://dx.doi.org/10.6028/jres.112.004
Please contact me if you don’t have access to any of these articles.
I also wrote for the group blog American Science. You can see all my posts for that site, and I also often compiled our weekly links.
My dissertation is available for viewing in full via DSpace@MIT.